This post may contain Amazon affiliate links, where we earn money to support the site from any purchases. You can read the full affiliate disclosure here.
These are food items that aren’t necessarily for fulfilling daily calorie or nutrition requirements but are for giving a variety of flavors (sugar/spices) or making use of the core food items (baking powder, yeast). I like to address these separately because the amount required is going to vary completely based on your personal likes and dislikes. One good way to judge how much you need of certain items is to make a list of your favorite simple recipes that you might use in a survival scenario and see what kind of ingredients are required for those. Also consider things whether you enjoy lots of sugar in your tea or coffee, if you really love salt or have a low salt diet, or if you are one to take vitamins or other supplements. Some of these items may have multiple uses, so keep that in mind as well.
Indefinite shelf life (Stock up!)
- White Sugar – Cook, sweeten beverages, pack into a cut to promote healing, or have extra for trade. It’s reasonably cheap to stock up on and as long as it stays dry, it’s good to go.
- Honey – Tasty and medicinal for cuts or burns, it’s more expensive for good quality raw honey but worth having.
- Salt – Although in recent years a low salt diet is often encouraged, salt is very important for life and serves many purposes. It’s also cheap and stores indefinitely.
- Vinegar – Like White, Apple Cider, Rice Wine, Balsamic… White will be least changed over time.
- Pure Vanilla Extract
Limited shelf life (Rotate out!)
- Oil (Coconut/Vegetable/Olive)
- Baking Soda
- Baking Powder
- Corn Starch
- Butter Powder
- Maple Syrup (last decades if in glass)
- Spices (like oregano, paprika, etc)
- Soy Sauce
- Hot Sauce
- Worcestershire Sauce
- BBQ Sauce
- Condiments (ketchup, mayo, mustard)
- Peanut Butter
- Candies, Chocolate
- Vitamins, Supplements
- Jello or pudding mixes
- Hot Cocoa
- Powdered Drink Mixes
Related Post: Storage Methods for your Preps